Monday, September 12, 2005

Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

Film: Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (2003)
Director: Prachya Pinkaew
Tagline: No stunt doubles, no computer images, no strings attached .
Rating: ***1/2 out of 5 stars



So I FINALLY got around to seeing this film. I didn't know if I should expect too much action, or too little action, so I went into the movie feeling pretty ambivalent. Long story short, I liked it. Tony Jaa does moves that, as one critic put it, "would send Jackie Chan to the chiropractor." There's a cool on-foot chase scene through the city where Ting (Jaa) leaps through hoops, dives over walls, and even slides under trucks. It sounds lame, but trust me, it's cool. He is ridiculously limber and graceful on his feet. It's pretty damn impressive. And it's all real folks. No shitty Jet Li wire tricks or CG here! His Thai boxing is pretty awesome, too. Never before have I seen a guy use his knees and elbows so much and so effectively in a fight! The cinematography used to capture the fights is also pretty neato.

Aside from all the fighting, the film is entertaining enough. There are some funny moments. The story is kind of generic, but it works for this. I liked most of the characters, especially Ting's insane opponents. This is largely an action film, but I suspect most people who rent or buy this movie are seeking just that: action. If that is the case, then trust me, it delivers.

1 comments:

Jimmy Reed said...

I loved it. That guy can sure dive through some barbed wire! And the elbow drops to the face...oh the elbow drops to the face.