Saturday, January 28, 2006

Battle Royale

Title: Batoru rowaiaru -aka- Battle Royale (2000)
Dir: Kinji Fukasaku
Tagline: Could you kill your best friend?
Rating: ***** out of 5 stars



If you have seen this, and you probably have, I don't have to tell you how much this movie rocks. I should not have put off seeing it as long as I did!

The story and the cinematography were a lot better than I expected. I anticipated a lot of gory violence (which it delivered) but I didn't know it was a good film, too!

Takeshi Kitano was a pleasure to watch, and his performance prompted me to add some of his films to my Netflix queue. All the young actors in the movie are fantastic, especially the girls. I think my favorite scene of the film is the lighthouse kitchen scene...if you saw the movie, you know what I mean. If not, you better go watch this movie and then you'll know what I mean.

Battle Royale has all the visceral, bloody fun of Versus but BR is smart and original. The violence is top-notch, the acting is solid, the script is mature and piognant despite all the gore, and the movie is all-around addictive. It'll surely find its way into my DVD collection soon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The story and the cinematography were a lot better than I expected. I anticipated a lot of gory violence (which it delivered) but I didn't know it was a good film, too!

Yep, that was exactly my reaction.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the DVD you get from Netflix is actually the region free special edition, which you can buy on amazon.uk.