Friday, July 21, 2006

Delicatessen

Title: Delicatessen (1991)
Dir: Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Rating: *** and 1/2 out of 5 stars



I saw this weeks ago, so please excuse the short lenght of my review.

This is definitely satisfying for any fan of Jeunet's. It's more in the vein of City of Lost Children rather than, say, Amelie (although there is a key love story). I didn't enjoy this as much as those, but it's very quirky, beautifully shot, and everything else you'd expect of the director.

In brief, Delicatessen takes place in a futuristic France where the people are very poor and starving. In the apartment complex at the center of this story, a butcher is carving people up in order to feed the tenants. He hires a young maintenance man, intended to be the next meal, who befriends some tenants, namely the butcher's young daughter.

I'll leave it at that. The film mostly relies on its eccentric characters (the tenants) and neat cinematography (as always). I don't think it's as imaginative as some of Jeunet's other work. Still, it's a dark yet amusing little movie and I'd recommend it to anyone with a taste for quirky foreign cinema.

0 comments: