Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Title: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Dir: Adam McKay
Rating: **1/2 out of 5 stars



I'm afraid Will Ferrell is starting to wear out his welcome. I loved the guy on SNL and I loved Anchorman. I'm thankful Talladega Nights wasn't just Will screaming and saying nonsenical one-liners (which gets old), but on the other hand, it isn't funny. The Ron Burgundy character was very funny to me - he was so dense and ignorant, yet endearing - but Ricky Bobby comes across as just an idiot. A Nascar-loving idiot. Ugh.

John C. Reilly was funnier than I expected (not a huge fan of the guy), but Sacha Baron Cohen was downright annoying. No, I'm not an Ali G fan - I've never watched, but I'm open-minded, too. And the French guy was just irritating. Toward the end he hammed it up slightly less and I hated him a little less. Meanwhile, my favorite performance in the movie came from Gary Cole, who made this movie better just by appearing in it.

Some critics considered Talladega Nights a more mature film than its predecessor, but I don't see it. Looks like they stripped Anchorman of everything that made it funny and then made this movie. Whoopee! It was really lacking in cast, too - no Rudd, no Carrell, no Willard, etc. Mostly, Nights has an abundance of awkwardly unfunny moments. Sure, I had a few laughs, but not nearly enough to make me see this again. The bloopers, on the other hand, were the funniest part of the film.

0 comments: