Saturday, September 23, 2006

Hollywoodland

Title: Hollywoodland (2006)
Dir: Allen Coulter
Rating: **1/2 out of 5 stars



Hollywoodland is about a shady detective (Adrien Brody) trying to solve the case of George "Superman" Reeves' death. It flashes between the detective's sleuthing and the life of Reeves (portrayed by Ben Affleck).

I think it is a story worth telling, but it just didn't grab me like, say, LA Confidential. Brody, yet again, did not impress me, nor did Affleck. Sure, he's fatter, but still nothing special as an actor. Bob Hoskins, ever the fine actor, is great but not particularly useful here.

The first thing I thought when I left this movie: "A wanna-be Chinatown." It had that feel, but Hollywoodland doesn't even come close. It had some interesting moments, but overall it just didn't thrill me. And the ending is a complete anti-climax. I felt pretty cheated.

0 comments: