Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Reno 911! Miami

Title: Reno 911! Miami (2007)
Dir: Ben Garant
Rating: **1/2 out of 5 stars



Firstly, it has to be said: I LOVE THE STATE. No matter how many god-awful movies Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant write, I will always love them because of The State - because of sideways houses, and wide-open gates to Dallas, and $240 worth of pudding.

And I also really like the Reno 911! series. But...this movie kinda sucked. The Reno sheriff's department heads to Miami for a police convention, only to be kicked out because they weren't registered. Then a biological weapon is unleashed at the convention with all the local cops inside, resulting in a quarantine. So it's up to the ragtag Reno police to find the terrorists, get the antidote, and save the day.

The movie had a few funny sight gags, but most of the humor, where it existed, was too juvenile. Some of the funniest bits were in the trailer (eg, "I just had the weirdest dream" "You know you're driving, right?"). I think the concept of the series works best in a 20-minute show, with the COPS format. It really can't fill a full feature film. At least Reno 911! Miami had all 11 members of The State together for the first time in years, and for that I am eternally grateful. I just wish it were funnier.

0 comments: