Monday, April 16, 2007

Blades of Glory

Title: Blades of Glory (2007)
Dir: Josh Gordon, Will Speck
Rating: *** out of 5 stars



Even though Blades of Glory looked very unfunny and I cannot stand Jon Heder, I just couldn't resist Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett and Jenna Fischer together in one film. And they turned out to be the best parts of this otherwise mediocre comedy.

Heder and Ferrell play competing figure skaters who get kicked out of the singles competition for fighting. Years later, the washed up skaters get a second chance when they discover a loop hole - they can still enter the couples contest. So they team up and begrudgedly train for the big competition. Much gayness ensues. Their main competitors are two Swedish siblings (played by real-life married couple, Arnett and Poehler). Their over-the-top costumes and selfishness are way funnier than the lead characters, in my opinion.

Blades is far from Anchorman quality, but better than shitty Talladega Nights (you heard me). I didn't like the lame gay jokes, but a few other moments were quite funny. Heder did not contribute at all to the fim's humor, he was just the lame protagonist. It's so unfair that he gets the girl (James Gunn's girl, at that!). Ferrell missed a few jokes, but many were classic Will. Still, Poehler and Arnett were my favorite part of the film.

Anyway, the movie really does pick up toward the end. The sight gags got funnier and the ice skating competition became more engrossing. By the end, I felt content. I enjoyed myself. It's not the funniest film this year, but it's still pretty entertaining, especially for fans of its stars.

0 comments: