Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tromeo and Juliet

Title: Tromeo and Juliet (1996)
Dir: Lloyd Kaufmann
Rating: * out of 5 stars



I saw this movie for one reason: James Gunn, who co-wrote it. I've never been a fan of Troma films, except for the brilliant Cannibal! The Musical which was 100% Trey Parker's brainchild, it just happened to be paid for by Lloyd Kaufmann. Anyway, Tromeo reminded me why I don't like Troma films.

I don't really need to go into the plot - it's basically William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, only with a lot of gratuitious sex and other ridiculous stuff. It's very raunchy and absurb.

I think it's cool James Gunn started out with Troma and has come so far. I can appreciate the value of "bad" movies. And I can even appreciate Tromeo's attempts to shock viewers in the way Shakespeare's plays did in his era. But I can only tolerate so much pointless stupidity. I've always hated shock without substance. That very description is Troma. Shock for the sake of shock. I dig Peter Jackson's insane old horror flicks, and I dig cheesy old B-movies, but I get nothing out of gratuitious sex, and random lesbian makeout sessions, and endless sex or potty jokes.

I gave Tromeo and Juliet one star because it did have a scene or two that made me chuckle. The best scene of the movie is one that happens to feature James Gunn. It's not funny simply because he's there, it's just a funny scene all-around. And some of the film's over-the-top violence was amusing (namely in the aforementioned Gunn scene).

I think it's really cool that Troma built itself up from the ground, and that they help fund low-budget works (they basically discovered Trey Parker and Matt Stone), and Lloyd Kaufmann seems like a pretty cool guy. But asking me to actually watch these movies is a whole other issue....

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

for the record....i dont think kaufmann financed cannibal the musical, im pretty sure trey and matt made it, and then they just gave it to him to release to get their names out there...not to be an ass. And i could be wrong....but more pressing matters....you wanna see bad troma...watch "teenage cat girls in heat"......
(this message provided by DJ and are the thoughts and opinions of DJ, they in no way reflect the opinions of the critic Heather in anyway)