Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wild Zero

Title: Wild Zero (2000)
Dir: Tetsuro Takeuchi
Rating: ** out of 5 stars



I love a crazy Asian movie as much as the next person, but this one mostly bored me. The pace is slow, the movie skips around too much, and the story is pretty stupid.

When aliens invade Earth and turn people into zombies, real-life Japanese rockstars Guitar Wolf are humanity's only hope. Together with wannabe rocker Ace and his transgendered girlfriend, the rock trio take on a slew of zombies and one really strange Asian dude in hotpants.

I even enjoyed Versus a lot, but this one is too slow and not cohesive enough for my liking. And are we really not supposed to know Ace's love interest is a dude until the end? Was this not ridiculously obvious to anyone but me?

I can see why this is popular among cult film fans, but personally, I got little out of it. I liked the over-the-top screaming of Guitar Wolf himself ("ROCKANDROLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!") but beyond that...*yawn.*

0 comments: