Monday, November 24, 2008

My Name is Bruce

Title: My Name is Bruce (2008)
Dir: Bruce Campbell
Rating: *** out of 5 stars



After I saw this movie, a guy in the theatre who claimed to be a huge BC fan and had seen all his "bad" movies told me this was one of the worst movies he'd ever seen. I thought that was pretty harsh. I consider myself a Bruce fan, and a Raimi fanatic. If nothing else, I have to like My Name is Bruce for all the slapstick, cameos, and references to the Michigan Mafia. And this is the Ash-iest that Bruce has been in a long time.

In this Three Amigos-esque comedy, Campbell (playing himself) is kidnapped by his biggest fan and asked to help a small town fight an ancient Chinese god who is terrorizing the locals. Thinking it's all a big joke, Bruce plays along, until he discovers the menace is real.

The movie is jam-packed with references to Bruce's career - some hilarious, some lame. Every tiny reference to the Evil Dead movies had this uberfan smiling. From the names of Bruce's ex-wife and dog, to cameos by Danny Hicks and Tim Quill, to the person who did the fim's music - I was delighted! And of course, Mr. Ted Raimi shows his goofy mug all over this movie. If only Sam could've made a cameo. *dreamy sigh* I'd even settle for Ivan!

Campbell himself is pretty funny in this, too. He really hams it up, playing a verbally abusive, alcoholic, has-been actor. The movie has some completely stupid parts, but there are enough quirky in-references to make it a must-see for Bruce/Evil Dead fans. Don't believe the haters - it may not be Bubba Ho-Tep, but it is definitely better than Alien Apocolypse or Man with the Screaming Brain.

0 comments: