Sunday, December 07, 2008

Frontiere(s)

Title: Frontière(s) (2007)
Dir: Xavier Gens
Rating: **** out of 5 stars



From the opening credits, I knew I was gonna love this movie. There is something powerful about juxtapositioning ultrasound footage of a fetus with news footage of rioting Parisians. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it has to do with new beginnings amidst apocolyptic conditions.

Frontiere(s) is about a group of thieves who flee Paris - which is under siege by rioting citizens - and take refuge near the French/German border. Unfortunately for them, the hostel they find is run by an insane Neo-Nazi family who intends to use them for breeding and/or meat.

This movie has some top-notch gore, including a few clever death scenes, a melting face, an exploding head, and more awesomeness I don't wanna give away. You just have to see for yourself. The film also happens to be pretty scary at times. There is a very claustrophobic scene that is a lot like The Descent (in more ways than one), where I could barely breathe watching it. I literally had to remind myself to take a breath. For this reason, the scene was physically uncomfortable to watch. Which is awesome! And it only got scarier from there....

It's a pretty long movie, and there is a section that was a little duller than the rest (somewhere around 3/4 in), but then the awesomeness kicks back in and you get a wallop of an ending. I really liked all the actors in this movie and hated to see any of them go. At first, I wasn't convinced that the lead chick Yasmine could hold my interest as the heroine, but boy did she prove me wrong. That girl is a trooper! And I respect the actress a lot for going through all she did in this film. Kudos, Karina Testa!

This film is reminiscent of a couple films, most notably Hostel, High Tension, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Descent. It definitely has the gritty look and the no-holds-barred brutality like High Tension. This is definitely not a bad thing. If you like any of those movies, or generally enjoy an intense horror film, do not miss this one.

0 comments: