Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Serenity

Film: Serenity (2005)
Dir: Joss Whedon
Tagline: They aim to misbehave.
Rating: ***** out of 5 stars



I bet you think I only write bad reviews, eh? Let me say firstly that I have always had a vendetta against Joss Whedon because he created the most overrated piece of crap show ever - "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". However, Serenity completed changed my perspective. Well, not on Buffy, she still sucks. But this movie is friggin AWESOME!

Some people convinced me to watch the "Firefly" pilot beforehand, but I don't think it made much of a difference in me liking the film. I was only mildly impressed by the show, but the movie blew me away. I've already seen it twice and will likely go again. I'm always hesitant to name a new movie as one of my favorites, especially when I had mixed feelings about seeing it in the first place. But I can't deny that this is an instant favorite of mine, and I'm not even a "Firefly" fan.

I can't pinpoint a single flaw. The minor issues I originally had were smoothed out when I realized I had misunderstood them. The film's biggest flaw is something I cannot share because it is a spoiler, but those who have seen it probably know what I'm talking about ("I am a leaf on the wind"). I don't know if it's so much a flaw as something Whedon really should've left out for the sake of the audience.

Serenity is action-packed, funny, moving, and has a great story. I hope Whedon keeps this up so he can oust George Lucas as the leading filmmaker of space fiction. I just hope Joss isn't a 1-hit wonder like Lucas (or "3-hit wonder" if you wanna call it that). In any case, Serenity is definitely joining the ranks on my DVD shelf, and if you know me, you know that is quite a select group.

0 comments: